Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fall is in the air





The final project was to plate four unique desserts created by you. The requirements were hot dessert, custard, chocolate and seasonal.
My menu was very seasonal and is meant to invoke a warm fuzzy "it's FALL!" feeling.


APPLE SPICE CAKE
Hot apple spice cake filled with cranberries and pecans
topped with warm caramel sauce, served with candied cranberries

DARK CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE TART
Rich velvety chocolate filling in a sweet crust,
served with a tart cherry sauce

GINGERBREAD ICE CREAM
Creamy gingerbread ice cream
sandwiched between fresh baked gingerbread cookies

EARL GREY POACHED PEARS
Poached bosc pears served in an earl grey reduction
with dries apricots, cherries, toasted pecans

We had 4 and half hours to create everything for the plates. I've never moved so fast in all my life. Well, I might have some Saturday slinging sandwiches at the old Q ... none the less it was hurried and stressful. I got big props for doing ice cream (very time sensitive and therefore adds extra difficulty.) I spent about an hour cutting out the stencils for the maple leaves (fortunately I could make the stencil ahead!) Chef really liked my candied cranberry garnish as she had never candied cranberries herself. But the star of the show was my standing gingerbread man ice cream sandwich. The perfect man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are stunning, Sarah Beth...and I *love* the gingerbread man dessert...what a great idea! You timed school well, didn't you? You get to create desserts tailored around your favorite season!

Marsha said...

Sarah Beth - we so very proud of you! I miss your smiling face around here but I am very glad you are doing well. Please stay in touch. Marsha at LCB Portand