Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Slice of Heaven!






I've died and gone to cakes class. It is little slice of heaven tucked away on the fifth floor of the Galleria. My instructor is amazing: helpful, generous, understanding and joyful. Besides the chef's ability to impart her bounty of knowledge to all of us we are making cake.
Now here is the thing. When I came to Le Cordon Bleu I expected to love bread's class. I thought that would be my passion and I'd go on to bake bread everyday. I've always been one of those people that didn't really care what my food looked like as long as it tasted good. Well, I guess I was wrong on a couple points. Bread turned out to not be my passion and decorating cakes is one of the funnest things I have ever done. Making tiny shapes out of marzipan, amazing. Frosting a cake beautifully, amazing. Pretty food that tastes good, actually tastes even better. Trust me, it is true. Remember we eat with our eyes first. Besides who wanted to pay money for an ugly cake they can make at home?
Well, week one was somewhat review for us. Genoise with french buttercream. Black Forest Cake make with chocolate genoise. Triangle cake, jelly roll sponge with chocolate buttercream and chocolate glacage. (Any idea how we put that one together?)
Week 2: So far we have completed banana cake filled and frosted with sour cream ganache (even if you don't like bananas you will like this!) Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Yes, we made the marzipan carrots and bananas! So cute and so tasty!

No comments: