Sunday, October 12, 2008

Everything is Rosey!





It is the start of last week of cakes. So I better give you the run down on the end of last week. We made a Birthday cake with devils food cake and quick fudge frosting. There ain't nothing quick about quick fudge frosting ... the recipe we worked with set up so quick you could barely get it on the cake. Cupcake Jones had a much easier and tastier version that I would have preferred but apparently every bakery in the country uses this one?? I guess I'll let you know more about that later but I didn't care for the flavor of this one, shortening might be cheaper but are we focusing on quality or quantity?
The Alhambra cake was our practical this week. In a change of routine we had never made this cake before (normally the practical is something you have already had the chance to make in a previous class.) The cake was a really dense hazelnut sponge cake crumb coated and filled with ganache and glazed with chocolate glacage. Alhambra has to be written on the top of the cake in glacage or ganache and a natural marzipan rose dusted with cocoa powder is placed on top.
I really enjoyed working with marzipan this week and I can't wait for celebration cakes class where we will work with gum paste.
We have to create our own cake for next week's practical so after class on Friday I played with the prototype ... Almond cake with lemon curd filling and lemon mascarpone frosting. It was so delicious.

No comments: