Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mousse! Souffle! Ole!




As badly as my second week of custards went, my third week went the exact opposite of that. Everything was going my way this week. (I think I may have even managed to impress my chef this week, no small feat!) All the flavor combinations and creations are mine and I think the chef particilarly liked that I took some risks. Lemon and black current frozen mousse cake. Frozen mousse can be made three different ways: meringue based, fruit and syrup based and custard based. My digestive system was happy that none of them contain gelatin because they are set by freezing and not with gelatin. I made a gingerbread spice ice-cream, molasses, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon ... I think I'll pair it with some hot apple pie. (sorry, not photos, ice cream isn't very photogenic.) We made crepes and souffles. I made a lemon crepe souffle topped with creme anglaise and pineapple coulis. Crepes and souffles are simple and fun to make, not at all scary like they seem to be portrayed. Although, if you are thinking of serving a souffle keep in mind... Souffles will fall as quickly as they rise. They only last a moment out of the oven. Along with ice cream we also churned sorbet. Going back to my southern roots I decided to make a Mint Julep sorbet; mint, lime and bourbon. When I served it to the chef she really liked it and I said that I would add more bourbon next time. (Since alcohol and sugar effect ability to freeze I was shy on the bourbon ...) She said I should serve it with flambeed bourbon. So we did. Everyone loved it.

No comments: